Saturday, October 15, 2016

#langchat is a Go!

This morning I participated in a Twitter chat for World Language teachers. The chat is held on Twitter every Saturday morning from 10-11am EST and is linked through the hashtag "langchat."
(By setting your twitter feed to view "All Posts" when searching a tag, new tweets containing your chosen hashtag are popping up on the feed every few seconds, resulting in a Chat environment.)
When I joined the #langchat conversation, I tweeted to introduce myself to the group and was instantly welcomed in by several people, which made the activity feel even more like a chat. There was a chat leader, a woman named Collene, who posted three questions to the group dealing with cross-subject collaboration and language learning. Other tweeters responded to the questions, essentially brainstorming answers rather than really discussing or talking back to one another too much. That being said, some people did respond to others' posts by retweeting and commenting on them.

The topic of this particular chat--cross subject collaboration--was something that I have been discussing in other classes as well, which made it very relate-able to me.
I can see, even from only this one experience, that teacher Twitter Chats are a useful tool. You can gain whole lists of ideas on any given teacher-topic each week! (depending on the weekly topic.) Despite having a deep seeded dislike of Twitter as a social media platform, using it as a chat platform was more agreeable to me than I expected, especially once I downloaded the app on my phone. The view was very easy to read and refresh and I could keep up with the Q & A's flow easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment