Thursday, October 27, 2016

My First Attempt at a TED-Ed Lesson

This week I was asked to create my first lesson on the TED-Ed platform. I have been working a lot with literacy and story comprehension strategies this semester so I chose to center my lesson around the fable of The Three Little Pigs.



This lesson asks students to view one animated version of the fable and answer multiple choice questions about it. Then, students are asked to skim an advanced article about the meaning of the fable. Afterward, students watch another animated version of the fable--this one being far more detailed--and then compare and contrast the two videos. Finally, students must answer a discussion question about the meaning of "being prepared."

The objectives of this activity are as follows:
SWBAT answer basic comprehension questions about The Three Little Pigs.
SW compare and contrast two different versions of the same story.
SWBAT understand the meaning of "being prepared" and explain it in writing when talking about the third little pig.
SW practice skim reading strategies.

The first three objectives can be assessed within the TED-Ed lesson itself, as students answer multiple choice comprehension questions within the lesson, and answer short-answer discussion questions within the lesson. As the lesson creator, I will be able to monitor the student responses and see which areas of the lesson gave students a hard time. If I had a real classroom, I would make sure to go over these answers in class and reinforce the trouble areas through further activities.
The four and final objective cannot be measured on an online platform, and I'll be honest in admitting that I only included it because the assignment called for two links to be included in the lesson.





1 comment:

  1. Great breakdown of the lesson and I like the way you had students define "being prepared". I know I often take for granted that the students know what things mean so I think that was a good thing to make sure the kids know because it was so central to the story.

    ReplyDelete